Exerpt from Canadian Tax Planner January 2015
Canada Job Grant
The Grant is available to employers to help train new or existing employees for jobs that need to be filled. The program is not restricted to technical training, but, is also open to professional and management development. Two-thirds of the cost of the training, to a maximum government contribution of $10,000 per employee application is available. This program is available to most sizes of employers (including smaller accounting and financial planning firms).
The application, however, must generally be approved prior to engaging in the training program. As the Grant is administered at the provincial/territorial level, there are differences in administration and eligibility rules across the country. Some of the aspects which may vary include:
- whether the training must result in a credential;
- whether the program must last a minimum number of hours;
- whether salaries paid to participants may count towards the employer’s share;
- whether the training must be incremental to the normal training programs;
- the funding limit per organization;
- what costs qualify (tuition, books, travel etc.); and,
- whether the individual has to be an employee before and after the application.
There are limited government funds allocated to the program annually – ensure to get your funding before the money runs out!
The Grant is currently available in most provinces and territories across the country (except for Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nunavut).
For more information on the program, click here.